2017 European Disability and Development Week
‘Together for Inclusion‘ – the International Disability and Development Consortium (IDDC) celebrates the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
As a member of IDDC, EU-CORD is encouraging our members, colleagues and the general public to participate in this week of events. We will also be active on twitter, using the #EDDW17 hashtag and you can find up-to-date information on all activities on the event facebook page.
#EDDW17 begins on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities (3rd December) and finishes on the International Day of Human Rights (10th December). IDDC links both celebrations in the framework of #EDDW17 with the aim of raising awareness of the need to include the rights of persons with disabilities in mainstream human rights policies and programmes. This is especially relevant at European level since the European Union is the first and only regional body that ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
Several events will be organised during the week addressing different approaches towards the inclusion of persons with disabilities in countries around the world. IDDC has also launched a photo contest to promote an interaction at global level with both citizens and civil society organisations. The ten best pictures received will be exhibited in Brussels next spring.
- Disability Day – Art & Action, organised by Abilis
- Panel Discussion on “Leave No One Behind – Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities” organised by Sudwind
- Launch event of “Bridging the Gap – European commitment for the Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Development Cooperation” organised in the framework of Bridging the Gap in collaboration with the European Commission
- Event on “Addressing the inclusion of persons with disabilities in humanitarian action – A European perspective” organised by Handicap International, CBM and EDF in collaboration with the European Commission
- Breakfast event on “Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights for women and girls with disabilities” organised by Light for the World and DSW
- Lunch event on “The impact of inclusive education and employment, an example from Africa” organised by CBM
- Roundtable on “Safe mobility: high stakes for persons with disabilities in developing countries” organised by Handicap International
- Battle debate on “UN CRPD + SDG = (Art. 19) – A real inclusion for all?” organised by ENIL